1.21.2009

Awesome Book!!!

Okay all you moms out there who struggle like I do with knowing how to discipline correctly....I have an awesome book for you! A sweet momma that works at my school with me told me about it and I just happened to be having a rough week with Kennedy. Isn't God merciful and good! Ever since I began working with children, one thing bothered me when it came to discipline. I wanted to make sure I was reaching their heart and not just addressing the issue at hand. This book is all about dealing with heart-oriented discipline. Getting to the root of the problem...the heart and not only disciplining them, but instructing them.
"Bring them up in discipline and instruction of the Lord." Ephesians 6:4
"The good man brings good out of the good stored up in his heart and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored in his heart." Luke 6:45
Another example she used was about the pharisees who honored them with their lips, but their hearts were far from him. Do we want to raise children that merely behave well and know what to say and do for fear of consequences, or reach their actual hearts? I know that's my hearts desire, but also a source of fear for me because I feel so overwhelmed and under prepared for the job at hand. I try to discipline with love and truth, but sometimes it just feels like a guessing game. I really never knew how difficult disciplining your child could be...how many different choices must be made when trying to handle something so important to you. I was so guilty of thinking we would have most of it figured out since we had both been around children so much...BOY was I wrong! I have only read the 1st 3 chapters of this book so far and it's already changed me, reminded me of biblical truths, and encouraged me. I couldn't wait to tell you about it until after I finished it, but I'll be happy to keep you updated about it as I go. Better yet, buy it and read it with me! :)
She is funny, wise, and very easy to read. I'd really like to meet her. I bet we'd have a great time together. ha!

6 comments:

Elle_Cooks said...

I love this book. Some friends and I read through it together last summer, and it was a great encouragement to us. It was also very convicting to about my own lack of "first-time obedience" to the Lord.
Thanks for all you do for R!
--Lynette

davidcatherinewilson said...

I heard her talk one week on focus on the family. She sounded really wise. I'll have to go buy that, I need all the help I can get! Thanks for the tips!

Heidi said...

thanks for posting about this - I'm sure we could stand to have a copy at our house! :-)

Lydia said...

I think I will go buy it right away!
Hopefully, I can have it memorized b/f we get to the Terrible Twos. ha

Jenny said...

Thanks for the suggestion! I love the title! How cute! :) I'm putting it on my wish list!

Mandy said...

we're reading this book-very challenging!