1.31.2009

Book Review : )

Okay...I thought I would update you on the book after I finished it. I really liked it and I thought it was wise, scripture based, and challenging. It made me think about my heart condition as well as Kennedy's. I only wish it would have been a little longer, so that it could have gone into more specifics for different ages, as well as what to do when your child doesn't give the right response. For example, when I was disciplining Kennedy for disobeying, I asked her, "Are you obeying mommy right now?" and she said, "Yes"
I thought...uhhh...that didn't go like the book said it should...ha! Do I just tell her what she's doing wrong and skip the "heart probing questions" at this age? I don't know the answer, but that's what I decided to do. I love the fact that she is so encouraging about her own mistakes and the fact that it's never too late to get a handle on it.

Overall I feel like I have been challenged in these main areas:

-Checking my heart condition before I discipline or respond (Am I reacting because God's will has been disobeyed,because my will has been, or because I have been inconvenienced?)

-Making sure that my voice is not frustrated or angry when disciplining, but that I have the heart of a mother who is disciplining in love. Children know the difference & will resent the other form of discipline rather than learning as much from it.

-Checking my consistency (Even in the little things). I think it is so easy to get "used to"
some small behaviors when you are around your children all the time.

-Using scripture to discipline instead of my own words (although not in a preachy way), because God's word tells me of it's effectiveness.

"All scripture is God-breather and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness." 2 Timothy 3:16

"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, of joint and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

-To not only talk to my children about what they did wrong, but train them in what they should have done ("Put off the old self and put on righteousness").

As it is with teaching children to tie their shoes, you cannot merely tell them how;

you must show them and then allow them time to practice (sometimes several times).

If this principle (gumnazo) is true for simple tasks,

how much more is it necessary for teaching the application of truth

and the development of eternal character.

–Lou Priolo

3 comments:

B said...

you're a fabulous mama! I have seen you talk to her, you have such a sweet sweet tone and demeanor! (though I know it's easy to get off track), you inspire me! How is Baby? Will you find out the gender?

JoAnna said...

Thank you, thank you for this review! I am soooo going to find this book and devour it. And, I second Brandy! You are a WONDERFUL mamma!!!!!!!! Love you!

Kerri said...

After reading your book review I am going to have to buy this book. You are such an inspiration to many. Hope you are doing well.