4.16.2009

Broken...

I know that posts are usually happy, but I need to ask for your prayers...

I am broken about something I saw on TV today. It was a report about a father who was sexually abusing his own 4 year old child. It's the type of story that's too painful to hear about. We often change the channel and try to avoid thinking about it, but today I felt guilt. Guilt that I can't even hear about what these children are actually having to live through. Just because it's hard to hear about doesn't mean it's not happening. These children need us to be on our knees for them. Even as I sit here 10 hours later, I can't hold back the tears. I often find that when something strikes an emotional chord in me, I react with a defense mechanism. I'm not sure why I do that, but in this particular case, I couldn't pretend for long. I heard the words, got a sickened angry feeling and left the room, but all of a sudden my brokenness came wailing through. I just fell to the floor in anguish over these poor children whose hearts, minds, and precious bodies have already been so torn apart. I was filled with confusion, sadness, and a desire to help them heal. Luckily, Kennedy was taking a nap, because I was far from in control over my emotions. I just cried out to the Lord...telling Him I didn't understand why this was allowed, asking for wisdom, and begging for protection, healing & justice for these little ones. As a mother of a 3 year old little girl, these stories affect me more than ever. Unfortunately, I am limited as to what I can do, but thankfully the Lord isn't. He sees the cases that the police have yet to even know about, He knows the healing that needs to take place, and even though I don't understand SO MUCH, I know that He is also more broken about this than I am. I pray that the Lord would be the Father they have never been able to know and that He would heal their little bodies from the inside out. I also pray that the abusers would be brought to justice, be able to fully see the sad and sickening truth of their actions, and that the Lord would change their hearts. Please pray about this with me. Please.

3 comments:

B said...

Oh girl...this is my daily life. It's what I do EVERY single day. It is the most horrific thing a person can do to a child. You can't even begin to imagine what these families go through. So yes, I will continue to pray with you. Pray girl. Pray and then pray some more!

Ashley said...

Ashley, you bring up a really good point in this post. I have such a hard time with violence against children that I get up and leave the room anytime something comes up on the news or in a movie. I just can't stomach it and don't even like to let my brain go there. As you voice, though, watching is nothing compared to what these children LIVE.

May God bring JUSTICE for these children, may God bring SIN into the LIGHT, may God convict the hearts of the guilty, may He stop their sin.

Beth Moore's life is such an amazing example of God's redemption in a situation like this. May God bring beauty from the ashes, may He bring peace out of the despair, may He bring gladness out of the mourning...may He heal their broken hearts, bring freedom to the captives,...may He bring the VENGEANCE OF OUR GOD to protect them, may he bring healing, forgiveness, and repair the desolation of generations. (My very loose translation of Isaiah 61) Bring your healing rain, Lord! May they dance in the rain of your jealous love and protection!

Betsy said...

I will pray with you. I too am always so outraged when I hear one of these stories and think if anyone ever did that to my little girls they better watch out. But I know we are to pray for them and leave the judgement to God. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, you are right God is in control, thank goodness and we need to turn it over to Him and help those who we can.