9.01.2009

Prayers for my mom...please (update: 4)

My mom had a lump in her breast and was told by her doctor that he thought it was cancer, so he scheduled her for a biopsy. She finally heard back from the doctor and it is cancer...apparently a very fast growing cancer called invasive ductile carcinoma. He said that if she doesn't do anything, she would have a year at the most and that it would spread to her lungs and brain pretty quickly. He gave her the option of a mastectomy or a lumpectomy, but with the lumpectomy he said there's a high chance for recurrence. She's not totally sure what she wants to do about it yet, but is leaning towards a mastectomy b/c she doesn't want to have to go through this again. They are going to do a little research before deciding. He said that with either option it will be about 8 months recovery time when she'll be out of commission, which is like like torture to her (especially with all the pain she is in with her fibromyalgia & other problems). The only thing that keeps her mind off her pain is hard work. This whole thing is just surreal to all of us. I just hurt for her and have to admit that I am a little fearful as well. I know that the Lord is in complete control, but that doesn't make it easy to deal with...just easier. I just can't imagine my life with out her. She is truly my best friend and I so want my girls to have her in their lives as well. I know there are so many people going through hard things that are in need of prayer, but I ask that you please pray for my mom...for the surgery to go well, for her recovery to be quick, and for her to be patient and hopeful through this whole situation.

-Update: The doctor wants to try a lumpectomy with radiation and chemotherapy, before trying the mastectomy, so that's what they are going to do. The surgery will more than likely be this week, but it's not scheduled as of yet.

-Update 2: The surgery has now been delayed until they can do an MRI to see how large the mass extends. It sounds like the doctor thinks it may be larger than he originally thought. If it is, then they will probably just go ahead with a full mastectomy. Please pray for my mom. All these different plans and changes feel like a really bad roller coaster ride and she's worn out. About the time you prepare yourself for what's ahead, the plan changes.

-Update 3: The MRI showed that my mom's cancer was worse than originally thought. She is at a stage 3 and he thinks it may have moved into the chest wall. He's afraid to try and do surgery for fear of spreading it further, so they are going to start chemo and radiation first and then do a complete mastectomy after that. She said she loves her doctor and that he reminds her of another Dasun. She said she could just take him as her own and really trusts him. That's such a blessing. He's been very sweet with her and has been walking through with her each step of the way. I am also so proud of my dad. He's been so strong yet very attentive and caring through this process so far (not that I expect anything less...he's a wonderful man). They have an appointment with an oncologists this week to plan out her treatment. I'll keep you updated as I know more. I just want to take a minute and thank you for all of your calls & e-mails offering to pray and help in anyway. I am so blessed to have so many precious friends and I truly thank the Lord for you all.

-Update 4: My mom met with her oncologists today. She will have a PET scan this week (They inject a dye into your system and then scan your whole body to see where the dye collects. It normally collects on cancer cells. This will tell us if she has cancer somewhere else, if it has spread, and will help determine what kind of chemo she gets and for how long). She will get a port installed sometime this week which will help administer the chemo.H er chemo will begin next wed (Sept 16th) and will probably last 4-6 months. He also said that she will probably lose all of her hair really quickly because of the strength of the chemo she'll be receiving (approximately 2 weeks). It looks to be a long road, but it's good to finally know the plan and know what we are facing.

26 comments:

Mitzi said...

Thanks so much for the update. I am PRAYING!! I love you friend and my heart hurts with you. Calling on our Healer!

Jenny said...

I'll be praying for your mom. That is so scary. Hugs to you!

Kelley and Melissa said...

Oh, Ashley. I don't like this post. I will pray for your mother every day! Please keep us updated as much as you can. Will her surgery be soon?

April said...

Ash - My heart is heavy for you, your mom and your family. Sending up prayer to The Great Physician.

melia said...

Wow, Ash! I am so sorry! I will be praying. Love, Melia

Amy said...

We will keep your mom and family in our prayers. She's stronger than she thinks. We are here for all of you! Love you guys! Amy and family.

sara said...

Oh, Ashley, I'm so very sorry. We will be praying for your sweet mom.

Christy said...

Prayers for your mom, and your family!!

Heidi said...

I'm so sorry. What an ordeal for all of you. I'll be praying!!

Kerri said...

Ashley,
I am so soory to hear this about your mom. We will definately be praying for your family.

Tara said...

Praying for your mom, Ashley.

Lindsey Cobb said...

I'll be praying for your mom, you and your family. Hope everything goes well with the surgury. Keep us posted.

Courtney said...

Ashley,
I just want you to know that my family is keeping your sweet mama in our prayers. She is such a wonderful and strong woman!

Love you~ Courtney

The Lane Family said...

Thank you for letting us pray for your mom and your family. Please keep us updated with specific requests. Love ya!

About Us said...

We will certainly be praying for your Mom. We will also remember your whole family. I know God is faithful.

Amy Becksted

Amy.Keck said...

Ashley - I had no idea about your sweet mom... I will commit to pray for her in the days ahead.

Psalm 62
1 My soul finds rest in God alone;
my salvation comes from him.

2 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.

6 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

7 My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.

8 Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.

11 One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that you, O God, are strong, and that you, O Lord, are loving.

Betsy said...

We love you guys. We will be praying for healing, comfort, guidance, and assurance. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help, even the littlest thing!

jenrumley said...

I'm so sorry friend, I had no idea. Just went to your blog today and saw the update. How are you doing with this and how is your sister and dad? I love you so much and I can only imagine how you must feel. Praying now;)

Tara said...

i meant to comment a day or 2 ago when i read your first post to let you know that i prayed for you.
i will continue to pray for your mom. so sorry you and your family is going through this.

Mitzi said...

Continuing to pray. Chemo and radiation are no fun, but I trust that this doctor has her best in mind...we all want her to heal and get well, whatever it takes! I love you and I'm here.

LoriB said...

Prayers to your sweet family Ashley. Please let us know if we can help in any way.

Matt and Jenny said...

Oh, Ash. I am thinking and praying for your mom and your family. Please keep us posted. I am so sorry. I love you.

Brad and Deania said...

Broke my heart Mrs. Ashley...will be keeping your mom and family in our prayers. We love you guys..

Love, Brad and Deania

larry_davidson said...

Ashley,I just herd about Viki,we know how strong your mother is.we will start a prayer chain tonight at church and pray for her daily.If you need anything let us know. the we love your family.

Kimberly said...

I am praying for you and your family... what a hard situation! I'm sorry I couldn't make it to your shower, by the way... it looks like it was so fun!

The Rainers said...

Praying for your momma today, strength, comfort and rest! Love you!