9.30.2009

Mom Update

My mom's first chemo treatment was on September 16th (her next treatment isn't until the 7th of October). We thought she was doing pretty good, but by the third day it hit her pretty hard. She was very sick, couldn't hold anything down, and was very tired. They put her on Zofran (the medicine I was on when I was so sick during pregnancy) which dissolves on your tongue so you don't have to eat or drink anything to keep it down and she said that even thought she still has a sick stomach she feels much better. A couple of days ago she noticed that her hair was starting to come out. I know that we knew this was a possibility, but I truly didn't think it would happen after just one chemo treatment. Today I talked to her and she said that she went ahead and shaved it off b/c she was losing so much. I think this is what I dreaded the most about this whole process. We so take our hair for granted until all of a sudden it's gone and every time you look in the mirror you feel ugly and are reminded of what you are facing. No more denial...the proof is looking right at you. My mom is SO much more than her hair, she is such a beautiful woman...shinning with the light of Christ. She has an adorable smile, an amazing heart, and beautiful eyes, but I am not for a minute going to act like it's a small thing to go through. She's trying to be so brave and upbeat about it all, but I am also reminding her that it's okay to be sad. We've shed a lot of tears along the way and I am sure there will be many more. We know the Lord is faithful and that He is not suprised by any of this. He knows what He is doing and it's so important to remember that He is good...He is good. Even when things don't make sense...He is good.

5 comments:

Lydia said...

We are praying for your sweet momma. Love you so much...I'm here for you if you need to "shed a few tears."

The Lane Family said...

I am praying and believing for total healing! Love ya!

Jenny said...

Thank you for the update. I'll keep praying for your mom and you too!

Bonnie said...

Love you and your mom so much. We are praying continually! Call anytime-I definitely know the struggle between being strong and shedding tears. Miss you.

Kat said...

I hear ya sweet friend!