4.26.2010

Kitchen Redo!

Okay...this has been a longtime coming. We have wanted to redo our kitchen for a long time.
These were the 2 main problems:

1. Our kitchen is really small, so we had very little counter space. The counters look cluttered even when they are all clean, but the things we had on the top are truly things we use daily.

2. I hated our cabinets. They were fine, but not what I would have chosen.
a. They were not very pretty.
b. There were no pulls on our cabinets or drawers (not even little notches)
c. Change is always fun!

I forgot to take before pictures, so these horrible pictures will have to do.

BEFORE:


About two years ago I decided to paint out kitchen a fun shade of green, but all of the other problems were still there. Then our microwave finally kicked the bucket. I have had that thing since Christmas of my freshman year in college (hate to admit it, but that was 12 years ago!). I got an awesome deal on an above the range microwave and thought it was a great chance to eliminate some counter clutter. Woo hoo! I love decluttering/ organizing! That in and of itself made a big difference!
-
I knew I wanted to paint them, but I wasn't sure what to do...white or black? I have white appliances and didn't really want to shell out the dough for new stainless steel appliances. I thought white cabinets might be too much white, but I was afraid black might be too dark for my little space. A few weeks later I came across Layla's black kitchen on the lettered cottage and fell in love. They started out with the exact same cabinets and counter tops as we had and even had them paired with white appliances. I showed it to my husband who is normally less than excited about home projects, but he was actually down with it! After consulting my friend Sara, we decided to do it and got started that night!!! We sanded, primed, painted, distressed, added the knobs and pulls, and then it was time to rehang the cabinets and add the corbels!!! It's so hard to tell how great it looks in the pictures, but here are the after pictures!

AFTER:

The pulls and the distressing are my favorite parts!!! Here's a close up:

One more side by side:


I have also been working on our living/ dining room...pictures to come soon. : )

12 comments:

Lydia said...

Love! I can't wait to see it in person!!

Jenny said...

Ashley, that looks amazing! I love the pulls and distressing, too! It's hard to believe those are the same cabinets! :)

Baby Blues and Wrestling Moves said...

Wow! It looks amazing!

Bishop Family said...

You are very talented! You should become a designer! Beautiful kitchen!

Karen Akins said...

Wow! It looks fabulous!!

Mandy said...

wow! it looks awesome!!!! bet it makes you smile every time you see it :)

sara said...

woo hoo!!! you know I love it! ;)

Betsy said...

You can come do mine now!! Ha! Looks so good!

Heidi said...

You DID it!! Looks FAB, girl!

Sarah said...

Ashley those look great, I love the color scheme...

Country Mouse said...

Great job! I love the transformation! Those would look great in my barn red and white kitchen!!! :)

Bonnie @ House of Grace said...

Great job!!! I love it black! It looks sooo fresh and new!
Bonnie