5.25.2010

Dresser Redo!!

I have been looking for a little dresser to go by the bay window in my dining room for a while. I had a really neat piece of furniture there that my mother in law gave me, but it was all open and didn't have any storage, which is a bit of a problem because my dining room is also my "painting studio". ha! I seriously had been as creative with the space as possible. Boxes of paints, brushes, ribbon, etc...hidden in every nook and cranny (and spilling out into the rest of the dining room). I needed something with drawers...beautiful organizable drawers. : )

I found this little beauty at a thrift store for a steal!
Ugly, but it had great lines, so I knew that I would like it after it was redone.
I took off the hardware and then sanding it down really well.
Then I used primer, but only on the high traffic areas. I don't like using it under areas that I am going to distress. It makes it much harder to get the look I want. After the primer was totally dry, I painted two coats of black paint (satin). I then distressed it using a coarse nail file (I prefer that over a sanding pad or sander).
After I got everything distressed, I painted it with 2 coats of Minwax Polycrylic in a satin finish. I LOVE this stuff. It went on so beautifully and wasn't fumy at all.
AND if you happen to be a clumsy fool like me, who stupidly decides to hold the can instead of pouring it into something else to save a little time, who then drops it on the nasty garage floor spilling all the contents, therefore rendering it unusable, who then kicks herself for wasting money...I have a solution for you. You will need an empty jar, a washcloth, and a rubber band. You'll have to attach the washcloth with a rubber band, allowing it to sag in the middle. Then pour the contaminated liquid through slowly. The washcloth should catch all the impurities, so that you can now use it. I have to admit I was pretty proud of myself for fixing my stupid mistake. : )
I started looking into some new pulls, but they didn't have any that I wanted, and I wasn't really crazy about spending money on all new pulls. So.....I took a risk and bought some pewter colored spray paint made by Rustoleum. I didn't know if it would look good or not, but I was more than pleasantly surprised. They do not look spray painted at all!
And NOW the AFTER!!!
And here she is in her new little home! I love her!!!
and the oh so wonderfully organized art supplies!!!

7 comments:

sara said...

Ashley!!!! It looks awesome! Good job! I bet those drawers are organized to the hilt!

seriously, that is such a great project, i'm inspired!! You should link up to asoftplace.net today!

LoriB said...

could you come spend a week at my house???

Jenny said...

Great job! It looks really nice. I'm so impressed with your ability to see something for what it could be and not for what it is! It's a good thing the Lord sees us that way, too! :)

Kelly said...

I love the color you used!

Kelly

Baby Blues and Wrestling Moves said...

ooooh I love it! It looks totally different. I have a few furniture projects I plan to do this Summer. I'll have to call you for advice!

Alisha said...

Wow - I need to hire you to do this to some of our furniture!

trish said...

Great job! Your dresser looks fabulous! :o) Don't you just love bringing new life to something? :o) Have a great day!
Sincerely ~ Trish