9.13.2010

I made a wreath!!!

I know...not a huge achievement for normal people, but I am wreath challenged.
I am not really sure what's wrong with me, but my brain doesn't work like that.
Floral arrangements...same way.
Maybe it's the fact that things are supposed to be chaotic and scattered.
My brain doesn't do that.
I love symmetry...organization...all those beautiful words. : )

Well, the wreath I had was falling apart, so I couldn't put it off any longer, so 2 weeks ago I decided to give it a whirl.

I went to Hobby Lobby, so excited about the wreath stuff being 50% off.
BIG BUMMER...the easy to use wreath garlands were $69 and the wreaths were even more!!!
Uhhhh...even with 50% off that was way more than I wanted to spend.
New plan.
I got a plain wreath ($2.75 after discount)
I got a flower bundle that caught my fancy ($5 after discount)
and a wooden K ($1 after discount)
I knew I already had some ribbon and paint I could use at home, so my whole project was $8.75.
Much better. : )
For the K:
1. painted it silver 2. distressed it with bronzy paint 3. Used outdoor modge podge to seal it for outside weather

then I just used my staple gun to attach the ribbon to the K. I tied the ribbon separately and wound the ribbon through the wreath so it would stay put.

For the wreath:
1.I just laid the flowers on, bending and shaping, until I was happy.
2. clipped the wires off leaving about 5 inches so that I could camouflage them by winding them through the wreath.
3. And used some wire to attach it more securely. I clipped one flower off at the base, so that I could cover the front facing wires with it when I was done.

Here she is!!


I am so proud of her!

a better picture of the distressing:

8 comments:

April said...

OMGoodness Ash....I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!! I would totally pay for something like that if I saw it in a store.

sara @ it's good to be queen said...

love it.

Kendra said...

I LOVE her too!!! :)

Jenny said...

I love it! I really like how the brown accents the verse above the door. :)

Baby Blues and Wrestling Moves said...

I love the wreath! I may have to copy :)

Z probably doesn't enjoy naptime, but that's okay, it's good for him. He hasn't had a nap in like 2 years.

He really likes you. He is just a more sit back and take in kinda guy. But he comes home and says all kinds of stuff about you (sings good, sky dives with her husband, etc.)

Heidi said...

Looks JUST lovely, girl! Well done!

Laurel said...

very pretty

Sarah said...

Beautiful! I can't believe you think you are wreath challenged. :)