10.04.2010

Easy(er) Subway Art

I don't know about you guys, but I LOVE all the fun Subway art ideas I have been seeing. The tutorials, however, were a little daunting. Then I came across these babies at Wal-Mart!!
They have a little bit of stick so I knew I wouldn't have to print anything off, take it to Kinkos, and carve out individual letters with an exacto knife. I knew I could probably paint them by hand, but I loved the fact that with subway art, all of the block letters are uniform (something that's very hard to do free hand). I bought a few packs and decided to give it a try.
I had an idea to turn my bird painting over and do it on the back so that I could switch up my mantel art from time to time. I am not sure if this was a good idea or not, but it's a little too late to change my mind. ha!

The Method:
1. Paint the background color (this will be the letter color when you are finished).

2. Lay out the letters on the board. I measured a little bit (just to make sure they were straight), but I kind of made decisions on the fly. I had a list of family rules that we wanted, arranged from most important, to least important. There were also some that were a little repetitive, so I left those to the very end just in case I ran out of room. I am not going to lie people...it took a long time. It wasn't hard, but it did take a while. The whole project took about 7-8 hours from start to finish, and laying the letters down took the majority of the time.
3. Get your bottles of paint out and carefully brush paint across the board and letters until you are satisfied with what it looks like. It's easy to paint over any colors that you don't like once they have dried.

4. Once the paint is dry, you can begin to peel off the letters. I was more than a little nervous that this might not work out. I have used blue painters tape before and was less than satisfied when the blue tape pulled the paint off as well. I was worried that this might be the same.
I started peeling and.......the vinyl letters worked like a charm!!! Wooo!
I decided to leave some of the letters covered in paint. I like how it looked, but I may change my mind...who knows? What do you guys think? Should I leave it as is or finish peeling the letters?
5. Once I decide for sure, I will seal it, to make sure it will last through all the dusting it will have to endure over time.

**By the way, I am probably not going to be making these to sell, since it took so long to make. I'd have to charge more than I'd want to. So get your DIY on and give it a whirl. : )

6 comments:

LoriB said...

I love this. I think I may order one for Libby's new big girl room. Need to get to working on the words. You are genius sweet friend.

Jenny said...

Hmmm... I like it. I think that if you decide not to peel the rest of the letters off, that you should distress them a bit. That's just my opinion, though. It looks cool! :)

Kendra said...

LOVE IT!!! Ash, you go girl!! Now I want one too! Leave it exactly the way it is. You liked it initially and I say go with it. I think it's beautiful. I wonder...do I have that kind of patience?? ha!! Love you!!

Angela said...

I really like this! Sorry, it has taken me so long to come over and leave a comment! Thanks for the shade tutorial, it really helped!
~Angela
www.unexpectedelegance.com

Cherish Stockdale said...

That is super cute! You are right all the other tutorials I have seen have been super daunting!

The Rainers said...

Leave it like you have it...I migthbe a little late though :-)