4.29.2011

Delicious Pizza!!!

My mom whipped this up on the fly the other day
and it was DE-LI-CIOUS!
I am pretty sure I had 4-5 pieces...or more. : )
Hers was made with some homemade bread dough
which is (in my opinion) so much easier to work with,
but I had some loaves of frozen dough in my freezer that
I needed to use, so I thought I would try them out.

RECIPE:

  • you'll need dough (homemade or store bought)
-I used 2 small loaves of the store bought.
  • mozzarella

Meat:
  • 1/2-1 lb hamburger meat (depending on your preference)
  • 1/2 onion
  • salt to taste
White sauce:
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1 Tbsp flour
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 3/4 c milk
  • (I also add about 1/4 cup of Parmesan if I have it, but it's optional)
(Directions: In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour ans salt. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until the sauce thickens and is bubbly. Cook and stir one minute more.)

I have had some friends as me how I get my beef to be so fine,
rather than clumpy or stringy,
so I thought I'd go ahead an share that with you...

How to cook beef so that it's really fine:
Tip 1: Start off with meat that's already thawed.
Tip 2: I cook with water. You'll put your meat in the pan,
chop it as best you can, add a cup of water, chop it more,
add another cup of water, repeat. Add your onion and salt for seasoning.
*You'll notice that the meat soaks up the water, which is why you keep
having to add more. This is so much healthier as well and you don't lose any flavor.
Tip 3: Continue to chop it finely with your spatula as the meat cooks...keeping it separated.

After it's cooked, run water over it, stir it around to get the grease to rise and then pour off the grease. I do this at least twice. You have just rinsed off your salt though, so you will want to salt your meat again to taste.

For the pizza:
Bread: Follow the directions on the package to unthaw.
I usually use the fridge method, because it's easy.
Once it's thawed, lay it out on the counter spray with
cooking spray and let rise for an hour or two.
After it's had time to rise,
I punch it down and roll out the dough into a rectangle
--almost covering my cookie sheet.
--I put a silpat mat under mine as well.

Make your white sauce and spread over the pizza
Add toppings (meat, then mozzarella)

Bake at 350' for 20 minutes and then check it.
I usually take it out at about 25 minutes.

0 comments: