9.26.2011

Edjumacation (Ingredients to AVOID)


After I'd come home from school,
my dad would always jokingly ask me if I got all
"edjumacated?"...hence the title of this post.

So a lot of you know about all of my crazy health issues
last year...ribs popping out of place, shoulder separating,
jaw popping out of place, etc...etc...etc...
It was a pain...literally.
I couldn't open my mouth, so eating was a problem.
I lost about 18 lbs. After the 1st few lbs, I wasn't complaining,
but when I got down to 100, I was freaking out.
I was eating as much as I could (through a straw),
but just couldn't gain.
A few of my friends were joking that
they wished that would happen to them,
but let me tell you...not eating real food for months...
no fun. miserable actually.
Well...thousands of dollars and appointments later,
they still didn't know what was causing it.
They thought it was something auto-immune,
so they referred me to a Rheumatologist,
but he couldn't see me until mid-December.
You can probably understand that I was a little frustrated.
A mama needs to be able to move her arm.
We have to pick up our little ones, clean, etc..
Not to mention, I was just tired of hurting.
My dad wanted me to go see a Naturopathy doctor,
that a lot of his friends had gone to and had good results.
By this point, I was game for anything.

I went. He did some strange tests that blew my mind.
He put me on 2 supplements and
a special diet based on my blood type.
I was only on the supplements for 2 weeks,
but have stayed on the diet.
It wasn't easy, not gonna lie, but
after 2 1/2 weeks, I felt normal again!
It's now been over a month and I still feel good...
shoulder can move, ribs back in place, mouth opens.
I can still feel a little tightness in my jaw from time to time,
but I would say it's a good 90% better.
How crazy is that?!
I would much rather make some food adjustments,
than have to be on meds with side effects forever.
I am keeping my December appt with the Rheumatologist
just in case, but so far, so good.

With all of these diet changes,
I have kind of been forced to become a health nut.
I have never been one to care very much
& never wanted to be.
I thought those people were a little over the top,
but now that I am learning more and more,
I'm discovering that we have some
crazy things in our foods/products.
I am going to do a quick run down of some things
I have learned to avoid along with some easy switches.
This is not an exhaustive list,
but they are easy changes to make,
so I thought I'd start you off with that -if you're interested.
I also included some links if you want more info.
I read from several different sources to back up each one,
but I am just going to give you 1 or 2.

Vegetable Oil:
Common vegetable cooking oils used in many homes and restaurants have very high omega-6 fatty acids and dismally low omega-3 fats. A diet consisting of highly imbalanced omega-6 to omega-3 ratio promotes inflammation and breeds inflammatory diseases like heart disease and cancer. I got this information from this site which lists the top 10 inflammatory foods. Interestingly enough, all of the "avoid" foods, are also on my new diet "avoid" list. Coincidence? I think not.
(easy switch out: canola-recipes taste the same and it's not bad for you- Olive oil is even better for you, but I only like this in certain things.)

Nitrites/Nitrate:
Hot dogs and processed meats (lunch meat, ham, etc...) contain nitrites which are used as preservatives and to add that pink color we are used to. It's not the nitrites themselves, because even some vegetables contain nitrites. However, during the cooking process, nitrites combine with amines naturally present in meat to form carcinogenic N-nitroso compounds. It is also suspected that nitrites can combine with amines in the human stomach to form N-nitroso compounds. These compounds are known carcinogens and have been associated with cancer of the oral cavity, urinary bladder, esophagus, stomach and brain.
(easy switch out: there are hot dogs and lunch meats that don't have these in them, but you have to read the labels. Hot dogs: look for Oscar Mayer-says no nitrites on the label)

Parabens: (methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben & butylparaben
Ugh...this one is the most frustrating. It's in so many products. They are quickly absorbed through the skin and the intestinal tract (when used as a food preservative). They are linked very strongly to breast cancer, skin damage, eye damage, and even fertility. I had to get rid of a lot of things, which was painful for this non-waster, but I just can't put it on anymore, knowing what I know. I have traveled this road with my mother and I would like to avoid it if possible--especially if it just means making a few changes.
(easy switch: again...it's easier than you think. Even Walmart has a new section called naturals, in which they carry paraben free products. It's a few dollars more, but I think things like this come out in the wash. Either through a little more money at the store or doctors bills later.)

If you are having trouble with chronic inflammation,
I encourage you to give this a try.
I cannot believe how much better I feel and
I am not even taking medications at this point.
If this crashes and burns after a while,
I'll keep you updated, but for now I am a happy girl. : )

- a few other things I am supposed to avoid: red meats, wheat, high fat dairy,
tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, etc...---yeah...a lot of "avoids"! ---So most of my food is coming from chicken, veggies, fruits, rice, Ezekiel bread (which isn't bad), nuts, and nut butters. I also found some cookie recipes that are YUMMY! I also found a delicious frozen yogurt by yarnells (chocolate is the best), that's creamy and makes me feel like I am not missing out at all. Now that I have those, I know I can stick with it. ha! Gotta have your treats!
I'll post those recipes soon : )

*Disclaimer: I am not a professional, I have just been doing a ton of research,
so please feel free to do your own research.
*If your blood type A, I'd be happy to pass along the food chart I made and help you out with getting started. Just post a comment letting me know but make sure you leave your e-mail address or I won't have a way to get back to you.

6 comments:

Ty said...

I read where deli meats were bad for you-- you think if you pick up some sliced turkey it's healthy--unless you raised it yourself it probably isn't. Chemicals are scary.
You may not be a professional, but it sounds like you may have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express recently! See you later. Give your husband knucks from me. Ty

Katie said...

I'm A+ and would love to see your meal plan! :)

brockmeyer.katie@yahoo.com

Katie @
Keeping Up With Katie

Alisha said...

So glad you're feeling better! I don't think naturopathy is crazy at all - that's how I found out that sugar/yeast has caused ezcema all my life and now I'm medicine free (and it returns the morning after eating too many sweets or breads.) I just finished a good book on healthy eating if you're interested. Love you girl!

Jenny said...

I'm SO glad you're feeling better! That is a huge praise! David is A type, and I'm O. My mom read a book a while back... I think it's called Eat Right for Your Type. I remember that I'm supposed to eat red meat and David's not, and I'm not supposed to eat strawberries, which made me sad! :) Did you know that Yarnell's went out of business? I was super bummed about that this summer. Their Homemade Vanilla was our favorite. I think some stores are still selling Yarnell's, but I think once they run out, it'll be gone for good. So, if you can, you might want to stock up on that frozen yogurt. I would love to have your A list if you don't mind sending it. :) YAY for feeling better!!

Robyn said...

I'm A negative and I'd love to see your list! What an awesome discovery for you, Ashley! So glad you are feeling better.

Rahubbard1@yahoo.com

three fourteen said...

I'm A+ and would love to see your meal plan! Thank you so much!

rns0319@yahoo.com