10.10.2011

Super Charge Me Cookies


What you'll Need:


Here's another cookie recipe from the cookie genius Dreena Burton. I found her by searching for "spelt flour cookies" on google since I can't have regular flour (or wheat anymore). Truth be told...processed sugar and flour aren't really good for anyone, so if you are looking for a cookie that tastes SUPER YUMMY and you don't even have to feel guilty about...
this.is.your.cookie.
I am not ashamed to say that I have already made 3 batches since I found the recipe.
I could just sit and eat the dough.
whoops, drooling, sorry. : )
...and the dough doesn't have eggs in it,
so you don't even have to worry
about eating the raw dough...double score!!!

Here's the Recipe that Dreena created and
here's my slightly different version.

Super-Charge Me! Cookies

Makes 11–12 cookies. Wheat-free (using spelt flour & oats).

1 cup quick oats
2/3 cup spelt flour
1/4 tsp (rounded) sea salt
1/4 – 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 –1/3 cup craisins (or raisins if you'd prefer)
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup flax meal (not flax seed)
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
3 tbsp almond butter (may use cashew, peanut)
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tbsp canola oil

-you can also add 1/8 cup coconut, but I haven't tried that yet

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). In a bowl, combine oats, flour, salt, cinnamon, craisins, and chocolate chips, sift in baking powder, and stir until well combined. In a separate bowl, combine Linkflax meal, syrup, almond butter, and vanilla and stir until well combined. Stir in oil. Add wet mixture to dry, and stir until just well combined (do not overmix). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper/ or use a silpat mat (I love these- they keep my cookies from burning on the bottom or sticking). Spoon batter onto baking sheet evenly space apart, and lightly flatten. Bake for 8 minutes (and then check to see if they look a tad dry on the tops and slightly browned- this is usually all mine need.). Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 1 minute (no longer), then transfer to a cooling rack (OR insert directly in mouth...whatever). ha!

Recipe © copyright Dreena Burton (eat, drink & be vegan) *

Yum...I could just eat that with a spoon.

Oh wait...I did!

*By the way, I am not vegan, but with me having to cut out most dairy and wheat, her recipes have been super helpful. I can still have mozzarella, eggs, and certain dairy items, but not very many. I LOVE dairy in just about every form, so this hasn't been easy, but if I can do it, anyone can. Did I mention that I have almost no willpower? : ) I think the thing that's keeping me on this, is the fact that I feel like a normal person again. Living in constant pain is horrible and I'd rather stop eating a few things than have to feel like that again. So far, this blood type diet is still working. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

teapotsandrobots said...

hey! this is my oatmeal cookie recipe! These are the cookies I have been making for the past several years...they are my favorite!!! I add wheat germ to mine, but I think I remember you not being able to have that...is that right?
I also sometimes do dried cranberries instead of raisins.
Glad you are enjoying some new healthy recipes! Most people think eating healthy means you have to give up good food, but i don't think most people really know what good food is.

Laurel said...

I will be trying both of these cookie recipes soon.