10.21.2012

30 Day (No Meat) Challenge!

So...we watched a documentary called Forks Over Knives.
It was so informative and interesting.
It's based on a book called the China Study,
which claims to be
"The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted."
It's about the effects of a plant based/ whole foods diet.
It's free on Netflix right now, 
so after a few of our friends recommended it, 
we finally sat down to watch it.
Let's just say, that the information was so surprising
that my meat loving husband, 
who, "needs meat with every meal,"
said that we should try and do a 30 day no meat challenge.
First of all, I was shocked.
My husband...no way.
Now, I knew he wasn't saying forever...just 30 days.
But still.
After all of the info we learned,
I was excited about the fact that he might discover 
that he doesn't necessarily HAVE to have meat all of the time.
We started it the next day.
It wasn't near as hard as I thought it would be.
We actually had a ton of yummy things to eat.
I even decided to take pictures of some of our meals for those of you that might want to take the challenge yourself. I didn't think to take any until near the end, but at least I got a few.

All-American Stew


White Bean Italian Soup with garlic bread and salad


I also made a big pot of beans and let them cook for about 15 hours...they were amazing!

The first night we had beans and cornbread
(cornbread with honey for dessert)
The next night, I took some of the beans and mashed them into re-fried beans (without the fried) and we had bean burritos (beans, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, guacamole, ...whatever you want to put on them. They were sooo yummy!
T
Salad, Garlic Bread, Corn, 
and Spaghetti Sauce over Rotelle pasta 
(it was actually corn and quinoa pasta that's a new 
gluten free item I found at Walmart- 
also very yummy- not gluten free tasting at all). 
I made a spaghetti sauce with a tomato sauce base, garlic, onions, and then I also pureed some spinach and carrots to add to the sauce. It was delicious and 
I loved that we were also getting extra veggies.

 

 Corn Chowder

 Black Bean and Lentil Chili
(we splurged and had a little sour cream with this one)
 We also did some
-stuffed bell peppers
-taco salad with corn chips, black beans, salsa, etc...
-Teriyaki stir fry with rice
-Black bean burgers
-Pasta e fagioli
& some yummy salads
(topped with nuts for some added protein)

and don't forget all of the yummy desserts.
Who knew that there were so many amazing vegan desserts?!
Unfortunately I only got pictures of the cookies I made.
 
In summary of our 30 days of no meat,
1st of all we'd like to brag that we made it the full 30 days
(even though we went to some very tempting cookouts).
Secondly, I'd like to say that it wasn't that hard.
We both worried that we would feel tired
because of the lack of protein,
but we were getting so much protein from nuts,
beans, & lentils, that we didn't feel that way at all.
We were also eating a ton of veggies,
so we felt great about that too.
Now that the 30 days are over,
we aren't full out plant based/ whole foods,
but I'd say that we are trying to do it 80-85% of the time.
We feel great...Dasun even lost about 10 lbs
and I love that my girls are learning to really love veggies.
It takes some work to make changes to how you are used to eating,
but when you go 30 days, it forces you to get creative &
discover that there are so many yummy things you can make.
Once you discover that, it's easy peasy.
If you haven't watched Forks Over Knives yet, please do!
Even if you don't decide to do a no meat challenge,
the info will still help you make better choices.
I highly recommend it and wish I would've have seen it sooner. : )

0 comments: