10.21.2012

DIY Chevron Curtain

The kitchen was definitely looking better without the quilt counters, but I wanted to do something to make it a little more fun. I know that my husband is not going to want to redo another kitchen, especially one that we are just renting, so I am trying to only think of projects that don't require major time, money, or effort. 
One day while I was sitting in the living room, staring at the kitchen, I started to think about how fun a yellow chevron curtain would be.
Well if you know me at all,
you know that I wanted to get it done that day. ha!!
I ran to see if I could find some fabric, but no such luck,
so I ran home, grabbed some old fabric, painters tape,
some fabric medium and some yellow paint
and decided to make my own during the girls nap time.

BEFORE PICTURE:


I measured out a pattern. I was afraid to draw the lines like I originally planned since yellow doesn't cover very well, so I decided to just keep removing one of the lines I made and use it as a spacer of sorts instead of trying to draw it out. I knew it might not be perfectly measured in the end, but it would be close enough.
 


I tried to push the tape down on the edges really well
and keep my brush on the drier side (especially when nearing the tape lines).
It says that it causes a barrier, but I have used this stuff enough to know that just isn't the case.
It's better than regular tape for sure, but paint will leak underneath it if you aren't careful.

After taping these lines, I painted them, let them dry and then reused my tape by taking it off and using it to tape the rest of the lines. This worked so well and saved me a ton of planning out and measuring time.


After the fabric dried, I  used my handy dandy hem tape and finished the curtain.
I hung it quite a bit higher than the actual window to make the space feel larger.
It turned out a tad brighter that I thought it would, but it still makes me smile every time I see it.
Next on my list...doing something about that light fixture over the sink.

AFTER PICTURES:
 
 

0 comments: