10.21.2012

Making a Pumpkin Pie from a Pumpkin!

A few years ago, I decided that I wanted to know
how to make a pumpkin pie from an actual pumpkin.
I planned to do it last year, but let fall get away from me.
This year we put it on our FALL TO DO list,
so we'd be sure to do it.
Yea for actually following through with something!
I read this tutorial before I got started.
It was super helpful and even had some fun ideas about what to do if you have a watery pumpkin or if extra pumpkin left over.

We cut our pumpkin apart,
scooped out all of the seeds and slime,
and cut it into pieces.
 

While I cut it, the girls separated the pumpkin seeds out so that we could bake them later.

SIDE NOTE:
If you have never baked pumpkin seeds they are delicious!
They sort of taste like potato chips to me.
Just rinse them off, let them sit out and dry for a few hours
(you don't have to do this, but they seem to be crunchier and better if you do).
When you are ready to bake them
preheat your oven to 375.
Lay them on a cookie sheet
lightly spray them with olive oil and salt them
please them in the oven until they turn from white to
a kind of golden brown (see picture).
Take them out, let them cool a bit and enjoy!

I let the pumpkin cook for about 6 hours in the crockpot.Then it was time to scoop the pumpkin away from the rind. I just used a spoon for this and it was really easy (I did use a glove on one hand to hold the still very hot piece of pumpkin).
 

Then, Kennedy used an emulsion blender to blend the pumpkin.

After that, we started making the crust.
Teaching her how to use your fingers to do the edge
brought back memories of my mom teaching me.

While Kennedy finished the crust,
Adelynn helped me make the pumpkin mixture.
I could just skip the pie and eat her up!

RECIPE:
After you have your pumpkin blended, take out 3 cups of it for your pie.

To the 3 CUPS OF PUMPKIN GLOP  add:
1 cup sugar 
1.5 tsp cinnamon (wish I would have used a little more)
1 teaspoon ground cloves 
1 tsp allspice 
1/2 tsp ground ginger 
1/2 tsp salt 
4 large eggs 
1.5 cans of evaporated milk (nonfat)
(I only had one can so I filled the evap milk can up 1/2 way
with almond milk and added that instead and it worked just fine)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

 

K cracked our eggs in a separate bowl just to make sure we didn't get any egg shells in our mixture.

Blend it all together and pour into the pie shell (no pre-baking necessary for pumpkin pie).

Bake it at 425 for 15 minutes

Then turn down to 350, place pie crust shield on,
and let it bake for another 45-60 minutes (mine took closer to 60)

Take it out & let it cool.
They had a HARD time being patient for this little pie.
It's not easy when it takes all day! ha!
Pie right before bed is a pretty special treat though : )
 

Totally worth it!
And on top of eating something yummy,
I felt very, "I am woman, hear me roar!"
 There's something about learning how to do something new...
something that your grandmas/great grandmas used to do,
that is really spectacular feeling.
Doing it with your girls -knowing that you have passed it
onto another generation makes it even better.

0 comments: