This was our first house, so needless to say, I had a lot to learn about decorating. To make it even more interesting, we had a very tight budget (and very little decorating talent). I did a lot of scouring the internet for ideas, winging it, changing my mind on styles, and just making mistakes. These are some of the changes...hopefully a little better than when I started.
-Reorganized and covered with fun laundry soap jar for easy access
-I still LOVE my new laundry room. It's just as easy to reach through the curtain. I worried about it getting in my way, but it hasn't at all.
Now this was not taken when we first moved in. This is a few years in. I remember it being pretty bare when we first moved in. You'll notice a ton of burgundy. My parents bought us a beautiful fun rug for our house warming gift and I used that to help me decorate the rest of the house. The only problem was that it was almost all dark colors. That's one of the main reasons I started getting antsy for change...too much dark in a small house. The other reason is that burgundy was no longer popular...pretty sure it died long before I redecorated, but oh well. : )
I was so proud of these curtains though. Each one was made out of one panel (hung backwards, flipped over and cinched with a ribbon and tassel). That genius idea wasn't mine. I think it was my friend Mitzi's. I still think it's a neat idea...just didn't like the burgundy and wanted to go more informal with everything.
I was also super excited about my little picture shelves. I asked for them for my birthday. I couldn't wait to get something on the walls and this was a little abstract for me, so I was even more proud of it. I am very type A, so unless it's symmetrical, it's hard for me to think it up. : )
Amazing what a little paint and some knobs can do! I couldn't stop smiling after this project was finished! It looked like a totally different kitchen! Fun stuff!
I later used the same can of paint to redo the dresser by the window, make the chalkboard frame, and do several other little projects...money well spent.
Got rid of the lovely plastic blinds that were impossible to clean.
Got rid of the burgundy. Added some fun burlap curtains.
Added a refinished dresser. Made some fun throw pillows.
Redid/simplified the mantle and decor on the tables
It took me a long time b/c I am decorator challenged, but they were easy fixes.