12.06.2013

Health Update

It's been a long time since my last update. I've been waiting until I talked to all the doctors so that I knew what to tell you. It's been a long process & I'm still waiting to talk to another doctor, but I at least have a plan. My GI at mayo called me and told me that my test results came back showing active colitis and the pathology reports showed evidence of chronicity, meaning Crohn's is very like one of the things going on. She thinks some other things are going on as well, but we're not sure about those things  yet. Our original plan was for me to come back to mayo sometime before December 8th for another colonoscopy and EGD, as well as to participate in a study in which I would swallow a camera pill. Then we got some interesting mail over thanksgiving break from the hospitals here and at mayo. Lovely bills showing that my insurance wasn't covering anything...anything we've had done over the past few months. You see, after having Kennedy, I went back for my 6 week check up and mentioned some pain that wasn't going away in the nether regions. Then I had to switch insurances when I stopped teaching at public schools. This was in 2006, so that's been a while ago, but they put a exclusion clause in my insurance that has no expiration. I talked with the insurance company and she admitted that the tests I had run were unrelated and could be covered, but my doctor noted the pain and the bleeding in the notes somewhere, so now everything they've tested falls under that. It's ridiculous because my digestive system, gallbladder, joint pain, sickness, etc...have nothing to do with complications from having a baby. They of course told me to call billing and then  billing told me there was nothing they could do and that I should call insurance back. That's when I broke down on the poor lady talking on the phone with me. : ) I reassured her that I knew it wasn't her fault and was just overwhelmed. I remember thinking that I could work for 2 years at my school and still not be able to pay everything off, so overwhelmed was an understatement. However, once again I have been made aware of how unable I am to "take care of this " myself. Once again, I find myself being like Peter. I keep looking at the water raging around me, freaking out, and beginning to sink, rather than keeping my eyes on the One who can calm those waters and bring us through this just as He has before. I can't be like the Israelites who were so double-minded (we believe but we don't) and were always forgetting the wondrous things God had done for them. To be real with you, I can be like that, and have been, but I don't want to allow myself to be like that. Once again I am needing to remind myself of truth so that worries don't get a chance to erode my faith/ hope. With that said, we are still trying to work things out with my insurance, so please pray for that if you can. What bothers me the most is that it's just not right for them to do that. It's the injustice of it all, but He will work it out.

With the new insurance knowledge in hand & knowing that the colonoscopy/ EGD would be at least another $10,000+, I had my video chat appointment with my main doctor. When he asked me about coming back, I told him our situation and asked if he had any other suggestions & if he thought those tests were truly necessary. He suggested that we just begin treatment for the Crohn's and see how my body responds. Then we can reconvene after that. I talked with my GI today, so that should start soon. It's a drug that worries me a little, they all do to be honest, but a pretty good percentage of people tolerate them pretty well. Please pray that I would be one of those people. I won't lie, I'm nervous about it, so please pray that He would give me a peace about it if I should begin the meds.

Isaiah 26:3

You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.

As for how I'm feeling, I am still doing better, about the same as I was the week I was at mayo. That means I am still hurting, but it's tolerable...much less than the first few months. I am trying to limp a little more each day and I have put on at least 20 lbs, so I'm back to 110 and look a lot healthier. I'm still getting sick to my stomach, but only 2 or 3 times a day. I am also trying to do some physical therapy to get some muscle and strength back. I can't do much, but little by little I'll get there. Thank you all so much for checking in on me. I'm sorry it took me so long to update everyone. : )
I want you to know that even in the midst of pain and money worries, you guys have made me feel so loved and prayed for. I am so so grateful. I hope you know that. I love you all bunches!  - Ash

John 14:27

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

0 comments: